Saturday, August 2, 2014

Review for Ransom Riggs' ' Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #1)

I really enjoyed this book.

I'm not sure what all the hubbub is within the reviews on here about the book not being as 'scary' as the cover. Of course it's a little creepy, but it's also very fitting of the book. Not in the fact that the book is creepy, but because the characters within the book have peculiarities.

Didn't anyone teach people not to judge a book by it's cover? Alas we still do, yet just because you perceive the book as needing to be 'creepy', the cover is actually quite fitting. Don't downgrade the book just because you had different expectations based on the cover.

I digress...


This book captivated my attention from the first page. I thought it was very creative, and a wonderful escape from everyday life. Enjoying photography myself, I adored the fact that Riggs used old photography to enhance his book. Of course some of them are obviously photo manipulated, but they still add something to his novel.

I also have to note the underlying tones of the story. I do have to wonder if Riggs had relatives in WW2, or was trying to replant the memories in the mind of readers because of modern day politics. Am I seriously the only one who caught this? The similarities of the Peculiars being a dying race, even the sheer use of the name Hollowgasts...Holocaust! The fact alone that alot of the story takes place in the 1940s when he time travels is hint enough.

I have to wonder the simplicity of some of these readers, as the ones who give the book one or two stars. I crave books that make me think, and give me something to analyze and wallow in. Was the only big picture most people took from the book the fact that it wasn't 'creepy' enough? If so, please do stick to Twilight and the likes.

All in all, a wonderful story.
Thank gahd Tim Burton picked it up for a film. As I read this last year I was thinking to myself that it would make a great TB film :)


4/5 Stars :)

No comments:

Post a Comment